This dynamic and interactive series of twelve lessons shows participants how to feel the influence their bodies have on thinking and feeling. The program is designed to improve awareness, in-classroom management, and school culture. Participants learn how to shift perception from outside to inside by enhancing a clearer sense of self and their relationship with others. An array of self-observing techniques using breath, sound and movement promotes awareness of mental, emotional and physical interconnections. A New Sensory Self Awareness helps lives change.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Jo Piltz
- Introduction by Carla Hannaford, PhD
- A Bird’s Eye View of the Guide and Summary of Lessons
- You Are Sensational
- Philosophy Behind A New SENSORY Self-Awareness
- Getting Started
- Prepare for a Lesson
- Muscle-Testing for Water
- Lesson Sequences
- Lessons are cumulative. Enjoy the journey!
- Part I Lessons for A New SENSORY Self-Awareness
- Part I Lesson 1 Pancake Body
- Part I Lesson 2 Personal Bubbles Freeze Dance
- Part I Lesson 3 Personal Bubbles & No Place Like Home Breath
- Part I Lesson 4 No Place Like Home Breath
- Part I Lesson 5 Big Tiny Bubbles
- Part I Lesson 6 Listening Bubbles
- Part I Lesson 7 Body Bubbles
- Part I Lesson 8 Hokey Pokey Body Bubble
- Part I Lesson 9 Dancin’ Hula Hoops
- Part I Lesson 10 Hula Relay Personal Bubbles
- Part I Lesson 11 Ho’oponopono Home
- Part I Lesson 12 Over, Under, Around
- Appendix A. Notes and Background
- Why We Do Each Step in the Lesson
- Background Behind Each Lesson
- Appendix B. Supporting School Needs
- Specific School Needs That Lessons Support
Read the Preface
This book is designed to build a bridge from traditional education (focusing attention "out there" for learning) to learning from within - to understanding "who" is the learner. Learning is a whole body experience; in the nervous system &emdash; though we may not be able to feel it &emdash; the body sends more information up to the brain than comes from the brain to the body.
Awareness of this understanding of how the body influences thinking and perception can only happen through experience. Though there are many scientific references, words in a book cannot explain this experience; scientific or literary explanations simply do not "make sense." To borrow Albert Einstein’s analogy: It would be like describing the power of a Beethoven symphony as "particles of wave variables displayed on a graph." Just as the feeling of hearing a symphony can never be described in words, sensory self-awareness must be experienced.
"Sensations" are what digest thinking, contemplate feeling, and change learning into understanding. These lessons will show participants, regardless of age or condition, how the pattern (symphony) of bodily sensations influences thinking. The lessons lead to an awareness of the physical sensations in the character of attitude that connect perspective of perception and the behavior of "how" we learn.
Understanding the power of this phenomenon comes only after experience. The sensations of the body, strongly or softly, indirectly or directly, influence perception. The awareness of this interplay gives insights that have changed tens of thousands of lives.
Who Should Read This Book
- People who want to raise or teach children from the heart as well as the intellect
- People who are young and just starting school
- People who are learning new concepts
- People who have reoccurring challenges with communication
- People who have little time to themselves for introspection
- People who want to strengthen their understanding of guidance from within
- People who have difficulty deciding what is best for them and the good of all
- People who have chronic health issues and don’t know why
- People who are losing mobility and balance
- People who are living in crowded spaces
Experiencing the lessons explains more than words could ever convey.
What People are Saying
"Wellness Through Movement works! This program has improved behavior and learning on our campus. The Personal Bubbles and No Place Like Home Breath activities are so simple yet so powerful. Our vision it to instill the Personal Bubbles and No Place Like Home Breath into our school culture."
- Principal Garcia, Kohala Elementary School
"I think if the whole world learned this program, the world would be a better place."
- Kindergarten student, Hawaii Preparatory Academy
"If people don't move their bodies and literally feel what is being said in this book, they will miss out on a great deal of fun as well as insight."
- Susan Switzer, Seminar Leader
ReviewsAverage Rating:Number of Raters: 1
This is an extraordinary book! A great resource for working with children of all ages from 5 to 95! I love the concept of Wellness Through Movement®. This book should be part of the curriculum of every school and every Feldenkrais teacher should have it. I so want parts 2 and 3! When are they going to be available? I hope soon.
People Also Bought
Media: Book, Paperback, 100 Pages